Sunday, April 10, 2005

Integrity

The definition of integrity is: The quality or condition of being whole or undivided; completeness.

I was reflecting on this value, and I believe that I have more integrity now than when I was actively attending Church. The truth is, for years, I have thought the rules were pretty stupid. I drank coffee, I drank wine, I had sex with my husband before we got married... The list could go on and on. I never believed that any of these actions made me a bad person, but I felt like they should make me feel guilty.

I realize now I didn't feel guilty, because those actions in and of themselves were not bad. Now that I've gotten rid of the guilt, I feel undivided. There is no competition between what I believe and what I think I should believe. There is no dissonance between my actions and what I think I should be doing. There is no more internal war about why I don't "fit in" with the ideal that was constantly presented to me.

Someone once told me integrity is making what you do on Saturday night agree with what you say you believe in on Sunday morning. I'm finally there. I feel whole, undivided and complete for the first time since I was a child. I have integrity.

4 Comments:

At 4/10/2005 12:06 PM, Blogger سینمای مستند said...

hello
your writings are very simple and at the same time very rich.i'm glad to see a weblog that have the good messages for the other pepoles.your field of work is law but you write artistic.
regards

 
At 4/10/2005 12:45 PM, Blogger Randy said...

Yes, my actions generally are in line with my beliefs. I don't feel like I'm pouding a square peg into a round hole anymore.

 
At 4/10/2005 6:57 PM, Blogger Cindy said...

Boy do I know how you feel. It is such a nice feeling to do something now without wondering why you feel it is right, but your religion says it is not.

 
At 4/11/2005 10:13 PM, Blogger Ann said...

Very well said. I'm still trying to walk the fine line between authenticity and conformity. It's great when you can come down on the side of being your true self.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home