Saturday, May 12, 2007

Mommy Milk

Sacred Sister has inspired me with this post which is joining with the many proud women posting their beautiful breastfeeding boobies across the blogging universe. I am still in search of a decent picture to post here of me and my milk guzzling beasties (as I called them during their nursing years).

During the early posts of this blog, I went by the name Jersey Cow because I was still nursing my daughter. I posted about weaning her. That was about two years ago now. My husband used to refer to me as a lactivist because I was always telling anyone who would listen about the joys and benefits of momma milk.

You name it, I probably breastfed there. I breastfed in restaurants, book stores, libraries, malls, coffee shops, national parks, civil war battlefields, rotary meetings, and even the courthouse (I was stuck in trial so my husband brought the baby to me during my breaks). I once breastfed my son while walking through Timpanogos Cave. By the time my daughter was born, I'd gotten pretty good at it, and I used to actually breastfeed her while I was making dinner for my son at the same time.

One of my proudest moments was when my daughter got her first baby doll. Instead of giving the baby a bottle, she would hand it to me for mommy milk. I thought that was wonderful. I hope that stays with her.

And so let me shout a hell yeah in support of proud nursing mommas everywhere. Don't be shy. Babies need to eat!! And I have to selfishly admit that when I started to lose my baby weight, I was most pleased to find out I got an extra 350 calories every day for doing nothing other than sitting on the couch, watching tv while holding my cutie pie baby and lactating.

I'm off in search of beautiful boobie pictures...

5 Comments:

At 5/12/2007 2:55 PM, Blogger Miranda said...

Right on! I'd post some good nursing pix but I never took any. :(

 
At 5/13/2007 7:13 AM, Blogger Ms-Chievous said...

Great post!
One of the hardest parts about deciding to get my tubes tied, was realizing that I wouldn't ever breast feed again and/or that intense bonding experience.
I sucked at being pregnant (puked 24/7 the entire 9 months) but I rocked the breast feeding.
I breast fed all four of my children including my twins.
Sadly, no pictures. :-(

 
At 5/13/2007 12:33 PM, Blogger C. L. Hanson said...

My first real blog post was about weaning my first kid (back in 2002): here.

I don't have any photos of myself in the act of breastfeeding, but I have one of myself with the nursing boobs I was sporting while breastfeeding kid #2: swimming with kid #1 while producing naturally nutrious food for kid #2!!!

 
At 5/14/2007 1:22 AM, Blogger Regina Filangi said...

Ah breastfeeding..... looking forward to doing it again in 2 months!!

 
At 5/14/2007 9:55 PM, Blogger Carmen said...

It's amazing how our bodies work. My son stopped nursing a year ago, but I am still in awe of how wonderful an experience it was! I too, will tell anybody who is willing to listen. (And even a few who aren't so willing!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home