Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Quest for NYC - Update #1

First of all, I'm having a difficult time deciding what exactly my starting weight should be for this little quest. I'll just share too much information so you'll understand my dilemma - the first time we went to the gym, I was just getting over a severe bout of IBS (yes, my doctor actually told me once after a colonoscopy that I had the most irritable bowel he'd ever seen) so I think that weight doesn't count because I'd been shooting liquid fire out of my ass for 48 hours.

Then, as is so often the case with so many of us poor folks who suffer from IBS, following the colon on fast forward comes the colon on pause. So then the next time I weighed in, I hadn't passed anything out of my ass for about 3 days. I told Erik I'd gained 3 lbs and he said, You are so full of shit, and I said, yes exactly!!

So, that's that. Today I was at the exact same weight as the first weigh in, but I'm not discouraged by that. I know I'm making progress - I've increased all my strength training weights by at least 5 lbs and I was able to raise the incline and speed on the treadmill tonight as well. I am happy with that.

I've also been very good about keeping a food diary. This is the only thing that works for me. Being forced to think about how many calories are in that slice of chocolate cake makes me think again about eating it.

In other news, ALL MEN SUCK - Erik has lost like 5 lbs just by thinking about working out and cutting out, like, one slice of cheese a day. It's just so unfair.

BTW, you can read my hubby's blog here.

5 Comments:

At 8/08/2007 10:21 PM, Blogger Exvestigator said...

First of all, you are doing great. Second of all I have been working very hard thank you very much. Aside from the crab feast (at which I made sure to drink enough beer to purge my body of all calories) I've cut out multiple helpings, cut out almost all snacks and alcohol, and I've been to the gym like 5 times which is 4 times as many trips as I made during the first half of the year. I'm freakin starving for god's sake!!!

Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled program.

 
At 8/08/2007 10:28 PM, Blogger Liseysmom said...

Yeah, the crab feast is a whole 'nother blog post. I found out that they had to pay for TWO extra kegs this year. I told them at least one was for you and your friends alone and to send you the bill...

 
At 8/09/2007 10:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In this case--and not because I'm a lesbian--I have to agree with you: when it comes to weight loss, men suck! They got all the metabolism and we got all the fat. Swell.

All I have to do is look at food and I gain weight. My skinny ass brother, OTOH, can eat and eat and not put on a pound. And he's about as big around as my little finger. Bastard! Love him, but bastard!

Grrrrrrr!

 
At 8/10/2007 8:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish you luck. For me, even trying to watch what I eat from a health perspective (and try and walk to exercise) has been helpful. I feel better.

It's just hard to pass up the free desserts. It's not fair that some people can eat all the dessert/cheese/etc. they want and not gain a pound.

 
At 8/12/2007 7:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I didn't know you had IBS - we shoulda talked about this. I worked in a related area for over a year. I'm sorry to hear it - I know how difficult it can be. And FWIW, it does tend to hinder weight loss (if IBS-C), but that just means you're even more of a stud for kicking its ass. Good luck!!

DH and I went on a two hour bike ride today and it was so fun. We have a trailer especially for dogs, so they come with us. A big happy family outing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home