Sunday, July 29, 2007

Vacation - Day 14 - Carova Beach

As I ended my last post, I didn't get much sleep on Wednesday night and my stomach was not in a good state. So of course, Thursday is the day we decided to drive to Carova Beach.

When the paved road ends just past the Currituck lighthouse, you can actually keep driving on the beach. The beach is the road, and there is a whole community further up. It's a great place to spend the day - the beach isn't very crowded and you can find just amazing whole beautiful shells.

I normally love going up there, but my stomach was awful and I was SO tired. But I didn't want to be the only person left at home, so I decided to go anyway.

It ended up being pretty fun. My tummy calmed down enough that (thank goodness) I was never sick on the beach. After lunch, though, I was just so tired that I actually fell asleep sitting up in the beach chair while Marc was talking to me. I was asleep for about an hour (I think) and when I woke up I felt SO much better.

After my power nap, I played with Marc & Lisey in the waves while Erik and his family played ultimate frisbee. Soon Marc & Lisey started getting tired and hot, so I had them bury each other in the sand for the last little while. I was glad to get back to the house and shower and lay down though. It was a fun day but it was a long day too.

That night everyone went back out to Jockey's Ridge to jump off the giant sand dune. I decided to stay behind (tummy still not feeling great) and start cleaning up and packing. I was a bit horrified to start gathering things up and realize how much shit my kids had managed to collect over the course of the two weeks. It was an entire box full of toys and gadgets and papers and animals and bouncy balls and pirate treasure and t-shirts.

I had been a little bit better. I tried to limit my shopping and not go totally crazy. I had bought a bunch of stuff at Try My Nuts - because they really do have the world's best nuts!! And great coffee too - it's called Wake The Fuck Up coffee. I love it.

I also had way too much fun at the Christmas Mouse but it's really the only place I ever buy new ornaments for our tree. I try to buy each member of the family a few things that really represent the year for us. The kids loved what I picked out for each of them, and even Erik had to admit that the poker-themed Christmas ornaments for him were pretty cool.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home