Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Why Target is really stupid

I love Target, I really do. So it pains me to relate this story, but my GOD this is so dumb.

School starts here next Monday. This is the week for back to school shopping. Every child in grades K-5 in this county needs at least one marble composition book. My son, for instance, requires four.

And Target is sold out. W... T... F...? It's still a week before school starts and they are already sold out? Listen to why...

Because they had a lot in stock all summer and they didn't sell, so they stopped ordering them. And they aren't getting any more in until at least September.

I'm not sure who is in charge of ordering the school supplies at this store, but they must never have actually gone to school. Because they would certainly realize that 99.9 fucking percent of marble composition books will be sold THE WEEK BEFORE SCHOOL. And if you are already sold out and there are still seven days before school starts, wouldn't you order MORE?

I think we need to bring back Weenis of the Week, and ordering person at Target gets my nomination...

5 Comments:

At 8/21/2007 6:05 PM, Blogger Miranda said...

My Target does the same.damn.thing. Adding insult to injury, the supply lists don't come out until the first week of school. I've gone through enough years of elementary school to know that it's damn near impossible to divine which is the preferred pen color and what size markers they wish purchased so I simply wait for the damn list to minimize the number and scope of my tantrums toward Target.

So, it's not just you and it's not just your Target.

 
At 8/21/2007 9:45 PM, Blogger J.M. Tewkesbury said...

Is it inappropriate to ask--as the childless one here--what if you started buying and stocking some of the standard items (like marble composition notebooks) back in June or July? Aren't some of these things the same every year? Like I said, I'm mostly clueless, but it would seem that some things could be purchased ahead of time in anticipation of school and the 'Target Scenario'....

 
At 8/22/2007 8:15 AM, Blogger Liseysmom said...

jm - yes, that would seem to make some sense. I fall into that category, however, of people who say... school is starting again WHEN?!! Holy shit, I'd better buy some pencils for my kid!!

It's even sadder considering my husband is a teacher at the same school - you'd think we would know better!!

 
At 8/22/2007 7:35 PM, Blogger J.M. Tewkesbury said...

L: You're very gracious. Of course, I also asked the question knowing full well that if I had kids, I'd probably do the same thing, but I do this already around Christmas. On December 23, I'm wondering around the house saying, What the f*ck am I going to get my family for Christmas?!" I've known Christmas was coming for 11 months and 30 days, but do I plan? Ha! Yeah. Right. Anyway--thanks for indulging my question...

 
At 8/30/2007 12:32 AM, Blogger Lemon Blossom said...

This is my first year of real school (kindergarten) and we got off really lucky. They have a "school store" where you give them a certain amount for money and they (I am not sure who "they" are, but it doesn't matter a whit to me) drop off the appropriate package with things the teacher has requested. The class then uses those things as community property. I know there is a certain amount of fun which comes from labeling your stuff for the first day of school, but I am all for convenience and nothing could have been more convenient.

I hope you were able to find what you needed. And that your kids are enjoying another year of school. I always loved the first week of school. It was the rest that was sometimes a drag. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home