Thursday, October 04, 2007

Adult teeth

Marc continues to amaze me. He told me his math homework was soooo boring, so we started doing very simple algebra to keep him interested. The other day I wrote this problem for him: x + 2 = 3, what is x? He immediately knew x=1. Good, but that was boring.

So I decided to really challenge him. I wrote this problem: x + 1 = y, y + 5 = 8, what are x and y? I let him sit for a few minutes and when I came back he had written "x + y = 4". It took ME a few minutes to realize that he was right and that when I asked him what "x and y" was, that meant x + y to him.

This week was his semiannual trip to the dentist. Early last month Marc had a 7-10 day run of a low grade fever. He was cranky, didn't feel right, didn't eat well, but I couldn't figure out what was wrong with him. He eventually started feeling better and the fever went away.

Well I learned at the dentist this was, in fact, because my six year old WAS TEETHING. Um, yeah, okay, nobody told me this happens to first graders.

So Marc now has his first permanent teeth - his upper molars erupted last month. His front bottom two teeth are loose as well. He was so thrilled to have adult teeth.

I took him to dinner at Boston Market that night and even though he has steadfastly maintained for many years that he HATES turkey, he decided to try some of mine. And he loved it - and ended up eating half of mine. He informed me that now he has ADULT teeth, so he can eat adult foods and they taste good.

Tonight my very picky eater had fish for dinner. Not even fish sticks - this was fresh bass that he caught the other day while fishing with Erik. And he ate green beans. He told me he wants to try broccoli next because that is an adult food and he'd probably like it now that he has adult teeth.

2 Comments:

At 10/04/2007 6:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG, that thing about liking adult food now that he has adult teeth? That is UNBEARABLY cute and endearing. Must make your heart squeeze.

I keep running a low-grade fever too, and everything in my body hurts just enough to be painful but not stopping me in my tracks. I'm guessing I'm not teething though. I might be de-teething??

 
At 10/04/2007 11:44 AM, Blogger Regina Filangi said...

What a smart kid! It took me forever to figure out the answer and I think I got it wrong! I always sucked at math!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home