Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Stunned

I... I... I just wasn't ready for this. I was talking with Marc about Easter and asked him if he was excited to see what the Easter Bunny brings. He looked at me for a few second like he had a secret he wasn't wanting to share. Then he whispered... Um, Mom... I know it's you.

I just blinked a few times. I asked him how long he's known. He says he figured it out before Christmas - he knows about Santa, the tooth fairy, the Easter Bunny... He knows it's me.

I asked if he was afraid to tell me he knew. He said he was because he thought if he told me he wouldn't get presents.

I told him, the secret is this - once you figure it out, you get to help. So he's coming with me tomorrow to help put together a basket for Lisey. And I told him he would still get presents too.

I asked him how he found out and if somebody told him. He said no, he just thought about it and realized it really didn't make much sense. But if it was me and daddy it made sense.

I tucked him in and went into the bathroom and cried. It's just one of those milestones I really wasn't expecting yet and it made me realize how much he's grown up.

4 Comments:

At 3/19/2008 10:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's how I figured it out, too... only I never said anything to my Mom.. I was the same, I thought that if I told her I knew, that I wouldn't get presents anymore. When I was 10, she asked me right before Christmas, "Do you still believe in Santa" and I thought, "crap guess I was right".. all I could answer was a shrug and "I guess not". But then she told me I'd still get presents...lol.

Little Marc is growing up! ;__;

 
At 3/24/2008 6:26 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Wow, that's a milestone. My ds stopped believing at the tender age of 3; I stopped by the time I was 5 or 6. Natural skeptics, I guess. Meh.

I'm sorry it was so hard on you. A little bit of magic lost. I find that DS is still very willing to play along, and loves the magic of the story and games, still. Maybe Marc with too?

-from the ashes

 
At 3/25/2008 10:50 AM, Blogger Don said...

Hah, that kid is too damned smart. Good at Halo 3 too, probably better than me.

The girls keep asking me if there's such thing as leprechauns and the easter bunny and I'm torn between teaching them to be skeptical and allowing them to enjoy the things that make childhood magical.

 
At 3/29/2008 8:28 AM, Blogger JulieAnn said...

It's tough when they grow, but I'm always relieved when my kids figure it out. I feel like I'm lying to them or something....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home