Monday, December 31, 2007

I *heart* New York - Day 3

The next morning it was time for shopping in Soho!! We got breakfast at the Tick Tock (their homefries are the best) and bundled up. It was pretty chilly the whole time I was there, but with scarves and gloves we were quite comfortable.

And with that I will make a note about fashion in New York. It isn't really fashionable in winter. It is mostly people in layers. Because it's freezing outside then cold in the subway then hot as hell in side every building so you are constantly dressing, undressing, re-dressing, bundling.

Anyway, we went inside a lot of stores in Soho but nothing caught my eye. We ended up at Anthropologie, my favorite store and I found a dress I liked, but when I tried it on... Meh. It just wasn't cute on me.

The girl in the dressing room thought I'd like another dress on the floor, which they only had in a size 4. The blue dress I had tried on was a 6 and she said it looked big to her. So I went ahead and tried the green dress she brought me. It was one of those, on the hanger, blah but when I put it on? POW!!! It looked amazing. It was snug but it fit. I was in love!

We stopped for lunch and then did a little more shopping. Sara found some cute pashminas and I had fun watching all the people who live above the stores who had their blinds open but weren't really dressed yet.

After lunch we decided that a nap would be nice. I am always down with the nap, believe me! For dinner that night Sara took me to 44 & X in Hell's Kitchen. First of all, apparently you have to be a beautiful man to work there. I swear I have never seen so many men in one place that were all... beautiful. It was almost eerie.

Sara & I sat at the bar so I was right next to where all the servers came to put in their drink orders. This gave me an excellent view of the eye candy, as each one had to stand right next to me several times over the course of the evening. It also gave me an earful of their private conversations, and yes, I am pretty sure that every single one of those waiters was gay.

Sara assured me that they had the best mac & cheese she'd ever had and she was right. It was that good. I love me some mac & cheese but this was beyond amazing. We also split the crab fritter which had huge chunks of crabmeat in it. Being for Maryland I am picky about my crab dishes but this was excellent.

Over-stuffed from dinner, it was time for the show. Sara and I always loved the movie Xanadu. I still know all the words to all the songs. When I found it it was coming to Broadway, I knew we HAD to go. And it was great!

The show was campy and cheesy and overdone. But it was all done very tongue-in-cheek so it was just hilarious from start to finish. I loved it. What's not to love? Glowsticks, men in hot pants on roller skates, leg warmers - it was heaven. Dare I say... Xanadu?

After the show we went to another bar to meet up with some more of Sara's friends. I tried a caramel apple martini this time. It was so good but so sweet. I couldn't have more than one but the one I had gave me a decent buzz that lasted for a few hours.

We took a cab back to the hotel and standing at the corner waiting to cross the street, Sara said, "Um, is that guy peeing over there?" And I looked and yup - not only was he peeing right there on the sidewalk, but his whole junk was just hanging out. Hello, twigs and berries. We both just started giggling so he waved and slurred, "Happy Holidays, ladies!!"

And that was my NYC moment of the trip.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home