Saturday, July 26, 2008

The Week From Hell

Thursday - Erik is out of town. I take Marc to his testing appointment and return to find out the hermit crab is dead. Have to call Lisey (who is camping with Erik) to tell her.

Friday - Erik calls to tell me he blew out a tire while off-roading. Approximate cost, $200.

Saturday, Sunday - No problems... Universe is saving it all for Monday...

Monday - Plumber stops by and outlines all the plumbing problems which need to be fixed. Worse than I thought, have heart attack thinking about cost. Have eye doctor appointment. Dilate eyes, which causes everything to be super bright, which leads to massive migraine. Come home to find cat (Floyd) hiding behind piano, on her side, panting and mewing. Have tickets to ballgame, which is no fun because of massive migraine and worry about dying cat at home. Leave game early and come home to find cat in same spot. Cry and stay up with cat all night hoping she doesn't die.

Tuesday - Rush cat to vet first thing in the morning - cat severely dehydrated and tests to determine what is wrong plus IV fluids will be at least $500. Have heart attack, leave cat with vet, go to work, worry all day about cat, find out cat has severe urinary tract infection and requires IV antibiotics and overnight hospital stay. Have another heart attack but feel relieved that cat is not going to die.

Wednesday, early morning - Wake up to worst storm ever. Have never heard wind so loud or rain so hard, even during past hurricanes. Freak out and grab children and bring them to bed with me. Consider going into basement, convinced a tornado is passing over. Chide self for overreacting until hear trees falling in the yard, then freak out and stay awake until storm is over to make sure windows don't blow in.

Wednesday - survey damage in yard. Two trees completely blown over which were nice enough to fall into street, so will be problem of DPW. Huge limbs down all over yard, more trees blown over in backyard. Chimney cap in neighbors yard, trash cans in street, umbrellas destroyed, pots smashed. Have to move giant tree branches to get car out of driveway. Late for work. Streets closed due to downed power lines and trees. Even later for work. Main street in town is frightening. News says yup, possible tornado.

Wednesday evening - pick up damn cat. Erik leaves for conference, leaving me all alone to try to wrassle oral antibiotic into cat's mouth. Takes an hour, only get half dose in, give up. Another storm blows in, knocking out power for 90 minutes. Happens when kids are in pitch black basement. Takes 30 minutes to calm down freaking out kids. Hang LCD work light from dining room chandelier and play Yahtzee with kids. Fun trying to give baths in the dark. No hot water. Give up. Go to bed early with kids. Let them sleep in bed with me due to freaking out factor.

Thursday morning - wake up to find out coffee maker is dead. Completely dead. There is no coffee?!!! Shake fist at heaven and scream "Whyyyyyyyyyyyyy?!"

Thus concludes the week from hell.

The cat is fine, by the way. By Thursday evening she was back to being a total pain in my butt, up in my business and climbing all over the laptop while I was typing.

Erik is back home, thank god, and he is out in the yard cleaning up the fallen branches and chainsawing the tree. And he bought me a new coffee maker. Yay!


At 7/29/2008 1:17 PM, Blogger Jer said...

Damn, an appropriately named week. But hey, you survived to tell about it.

At 8/01/2008 9:36 PM, Blogger D.C. Confidential said...

That does sound like the week from hell. Glad you made it through and great to see you back in the blogosphere. We've missed you!


Post a Comment

<< Home