Sunday, September 17, 2006

Why I Love My Husband

Indulge me for a post, I'm feeling a little mushy. Erik was gone all weekend camping. He didn't have cellphone reception out there in the woods of western Virginia (not West Virginia) so I didn't talk to him for two days. And I missed him. I really did.

Leaving the LDS church caused me to re-evaluate my marriage in many ways. I have blogged about it before. Today I am reflecting on where we are now. Our child bearing days are over, and we are into the school-age child rearing era of married life. I see Erik with our kids and realize what a great father he is.

He painted Lisey's finger and toenails the other day. That is awesome father-ness right there. He took Marc camping with him on his guy's weekend away, and then on the way home let him stop at the cheesy Dinoland USA - just because he knew Marc would love it. And then he got home and took Lisey out to dinner just the two of them because he missed her.

I am in a position at my job to see really really shitty parents, both moms and dads. I am so used to being around Erik that sometimes I have to take a step back and say, Wow! He is awesome and I am really quite lucky to have him with me.

Then in addition to being a great dad, he is also a great husband to me. During this process of leaving the church, he has been nothing but supportive - holding me when I cried, listening to me vent, even telling MY parents because I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Above and beyond, my friends. I am so thankful to have him on this journey with me. I could never do it alone.

Tonight I am battling a nasty cold, and so he offered to bring me back dinner - it's the little things like that. He'll bring me coffee too, because he is awesome. I don't think he has any idea how much I smile when he sends me little dirty text messages during the day. We are coming up on our 8th wedding anniversary, and we have been together now for 12 years. And my heart still skips a beat to know that he likes me.

I look back at when we got married and we were so young. Erik was only 21. If my kids got married at 21 I'd tell them they were crazy. That is what his parents told him. Maybe they were right. We're just two imperfect people who are doing the best we can, and so far we are doing just fine.

There is that moment when I lay in the crook of Erik's shoulder and rest my head on his chest and just listen to his heartbeat and I am peaceful... That moment still happens and that is why I love him.

3 Comments:

At 9/17/2006 9:00 PM, Blogger Sister Mary Lisa said...

That's just beautiful. I always love to read posts like this that tell it like it is, and gives us all a glimpse of how it can be for us too if we try.

:) Lucky lucky you.

 
At 9/18/2006 6:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those Snyder men really know how to treat the ladies, don't they? :)

 
At 9/23/2006 8:10 PM, Blogger Just one of many said...

My husband is my best friend! The Bishop told us that we will be getting a divorce because we left the church!! What BS. Anyway he keeps me sane, plays with the kids, encourages me to go out with my friends, makes me laugh, makes home feel like home, and listens to me rant!! Now that's a MAN!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home