Saturday, January 06, 2007

The truth is, I'm terrified

I have blogged before about how much I love my Zoloft. It really was a miracle drug for me. The past year has been one of the happiest times of my life, and if it was chemically enhanced, well... that's okay by me. Because I was happy.

So, it's been a year now and at my appointment with my doctor last week, we discussed whether it was time to try life without it. Now, first let me say that I was at the doctor last week for a follow up on my evil migraines. Over the past month, I had three more, and discovered a magical combination of two drugs, one fast-acting, the other longer lasting that together allow me to actually function as human being instead of having to go to my room and close the doors and turn off the lights for two days and pray for death.

After getting my prescriptions in hand for these migraine meds, I told my doctor I just am not crazy about being on many different drugs at the same time. So we talked about the Zoloft. I am torn. Seriously - the Zoloft saved my life, my marriage, my work, my relationship with my kids. It's hard to describe being depressed, majorly depressed, to someone who hasn't felt it. It isn't just being sad. It's feeling like you are trapped in a life that has no joy, no color, no future.

I would literally lay on the bathroom floor at nights crying. Sobbing. My hubby would ask what was wrong. I could rationally say, nothing - my life is great, but I still felt hopeless. Worthless. Incapable of accomplishing anything. The taks of doing the laundry was completely overwhelming. The thought of having to take my children to the doctor by myself would seem impossible. And the more I didn't do, the worse I felt. Look at the laundry piling up. I can't even take care of my own children. I am a failure at everything.

When it got to the point that my husband started to think I was beyond bitchy into really being scary, he sent me to see a therapist, who sent me to my physician. Who gave me Zoloft. Within two weeks, I was feeling better. After a month, I was me again. The therapist met with me a few times, then sent me on my way. My life really is pretty great, and once the haze had lifted, I was able to deal with most of my post-Mormon issues and start to move on. She told me during our last meeting I was one of those people that Zoloft just really works for - the depression is biologically based, so the biological cure is what works.

Which brings me back to why I'm terrified. My doctor told me that for many of her patients, a year on the Zoloft is enough to prevent another relapse of the depression. The only way to know is to try life without it. But she also told me, it's my decision. And if I start to wean off the Zoloft and the depression comes back, I can re-up the dosage and continue on the meds.

Which brings me to terrifying thing #2 - the process of weaning. It is a process. And there can be withdrawal. Unpleasant withdrawal. We discussed a schedule, how to gradually decrease the dosage to try to keep symptoms to a minimum. Still - I'm scared.

Mostly scared because I know the chances are, this isn't the end. That even if I successfully come off the Zoloft and am fine, next year, or 5 years, or 10 years, the depression can hit again. And again, I can rationally say, well if that happens, I know the Zoloft works and I can start taking it. But there's the fear - how will I know? I couldn't see it before. My husband didn't even see it, until it was so bad that I was almost completely non-fuctional. I am terrified of feeling that way again.

So. I am thinking about it. I am thinking I will probably give it a go and make this last refill the last one. And so, over the next few months, I will be coming down and hoping for the best.

8 Comments:

At 1/07/2007 6:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck with that. The one thing that has helped me the most post medication is my gym membership and watching my diet.

 
At 1/08/2007 8:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, girlfriend. Let me tell you about MY beautiful relationship with Zoloft. It also saved my life, quite literally. The doctor told me it would take about 3 weeks to feel an effect. I did not feel better for three full weeks and then one night I crashed and slept the deepest most profound dreamless sleep that I can ever remember sleeping and I woke up the next morning feeling like a human being for the first time in months.

I have been on and off it several times (I don't know if that's what you want to hear), but I have gotten to where I do know what's happening. Once you've been through a really bad one like you start to know the signs. I doubt it will ever sneak up on you like that again. It actually is really reassuring to me because I know I don't HAVE to go through that when I feel it coming on. The Zoloft really sorts it right out.

I never had any withdrawl to speak of, but I know everyone's different. The only thing my doctor suggested was that I not go off it in the middle of the winter because it's difficult for your body to pick up the serotonin function on its own when there is very little light during the day (related to the SAD).

For what it's worth, my experience has been mostly good, no bad to speak of, going on and off Zoloft maybe three-four times in the past ten years.

 
At 1/08/2007 10:35 PM, Blogger Liseysmom said...

Az ex - that's good advice. Going to the gym has always made me feel better so I'll make sure to keep it in my routine.

Belaja - actually, that helps a lot. I talked a lot with hubby about it and we agreed that yes, now we know what the signs are. My doctor also suggested waiting until Spring.

It helps to know I'm not the only one who has ever been through it!

 
At 1/09/2007 1:01 PM, Blogger from the ashes said...

I hope for you all the best on this (the past version of me would have said: I'll pray for you!). If worst comes to worst: DH has seen it before, won't re be able to recognize it better this time?

 
At 1/09/2007 2:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best of luck to you!

I agree with belaja about the signs.

I don't think someone should stay on meds forever without exception. But it does disappoint me that anti- depression medications are not seen the same as meds for something like high blood pressure or high cholesterol.

All I'm saying is that some depression is biochemical. I think sometimes our culture pressures people to stop or limit the depression meds sooner than they would other conditions (if that makes sense).

It does sound like you have a plan and are going about it in the right way for you and your family though.

 
At 1/12/2007 4:14 PM, Blogger Sideon said...

Best of luck. My sister struggled with depression for years and only recently went off anti-depressants. I wondered at times at my own life, and if I should or shouldn't be medicated (please, refrain from the collective gasps).

Be well.

 
At 1/15/2007 6:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have never taken zoloft, but welbutrin really kept me afloat for a couple of very rough years. I'm glad your doc said to wait until Spring - I think that's great. And really, like aerin's point, there is no need for a rush.

Glad you found a migraine treatment too!

 
At 1/15/2007 5:43 PM, Blogger Sister Mary Lisa said...

Good for you. I'm glad you found Zoloft and that you don't have to worry about it if you do find you need it longer. Nothing at all to be worried about. If it helps you survive, then do it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home