Sunday, February 25, 2007

I have given birth to Ewoks...

My children are running around (post special bath in the hot tub to celebrate all the snow) naked, carrying glow sticks, with their towels wrapped around their heads and yelling "UTINI!!! UTINI!!" while trying to catch the cats. This is just really cracking me up.

It has been a good day. I am feeling much better and much more stable. Yesterday Erik took me on a real date, to a local winery where we enjoyed fondue and wine and conversation that didn't involved me sounding like I have Tourette's because I keep having to blurt out "STOP!" and "SHHH!" and "STOP TRYING TO RIDE THE CAT" every 10 seconds.

We got a good bit of snow today. I was planning on going to work out, then going to catch up on some files at work, but the snow/sleet mix made me not feel like driving. So instead, we did some house cleaning....

Project #1 - Operation Evil Weevil Removal

For the past week we've noticed little bugs all over the basement. Erik finally used his mad google skills to identify them as weevils. He asked me, why in the world would we have weevils in the basement? They only eat grain. Then I reminded him of the metric shit-ton of food storage that my parents left in the house when we bought it from them 3 years ago. This food storage was bought when we built the house - and that was 1976. I've had some sort of weird resistance to getting rid of it, mostly because I didn't want to offend my parents who essentially gave it to us by leaving it here.

Anyway, I figured that the existence of a weevil infestation was a great excuse to get rid of it. We are hoping it will also help with our mice problem. Erik spent a good portion of the morning hauling 40 lbs boxes of god-only-knows-what up the stairs. At one point he came up carrying 5 lb buckets of honey. He said, what are we going to do with this? I suggested draining the hot tub and refilling it with the honey to add an extra level of sticky fun to our annual tiki party. Since Erik would have to clean it up, he vetoed this idea. Damn it.

Project #2 - Operation 3T into the Attic

I measured Lisey today and confirmed that yes, indeed, since this exact date last year she has grown over 4 inches. And since we haven't cleaned out her dressers since then, it was time. I've noticed a few times she's come out dressed in pants that are too short or a shirt that is showing her belly in a my-mom-doesn't-really-pay-attention-to-how-I-dress sort of way.

I always get a bit sad cleaning out the dressers for my kids. All those adorable dresses and shirts that she just won't ever wear again... Things she's outgrown... Undeniable proof that she is growing and changing. It was even more shocking to be putting away outfits that Marc passed down to her - T-shirts that have now gone through not one, but two children. That was sobering. No more babies in my house, and now no more toddlers... Lisey shops in the girl's section now.

Project #3 - Operation Super Nap

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah. Snowy day naps snuggled up with my kitties are the best.

Project #4 - Operation iPod update

Today I mostly focused on updating my playlists. Taking out songs I usually end up skipping. I made some new playlists for driving to work depending on my mood. I also updated my Pole Dancing playlist, taking out songs that I've found are really too fast or too slow to get a good groove going. I also downloaded a few new songs that make me involutarily start shaking my ass every time I hear them, which is always a clue it would be a good song for swinging around a pole to. Today's choices included Shake That Ass by Eminem, Headsprung by LL Cool, Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is by Jet, and Smack That by Akon, and Tell Me by Diddy.

Project #5 - Operation Sleepy Marc

Poor Marc is really sick. He's got a terrible cough, the virus that Lisey is finally just getting over now. Marc has asthma, so any little cough is a big deal for him. We've been doing round the clock Albuterol and Robitussin-DM to try to keep his lungs clear and his cough under control. We've now doped him up pretty good and are hoping this will make him sleepy enough that he can get some rest tonight. Poor kid - he's really miserable. But not too miserable - he remembered to wear his jammies inside out hoping that schools will be closed tomorrow!!

3 Comments:

At 2/26/2007 9:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yup - my parents got weevils in their wheat food storage as well. I guess it can be quite common. They threw it out (along with any extra flour, sugar) and cleaned everything up and now - no more weevils.

I'm impressed by all your projects!

 
At 3/03/2007 10:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What did I miss? Why does putting your jammies on inside out have something to do with a snow day?

This post made me LMAO. Good stuff. Altho I did have a little *sniffle* about kids growing up.

 
At 3/03/2007 11:52 AM, Blogger Liseysmom said...

wry - That's the big urban legend around here! If you wear your jammies inside out, it will snow... I think teachers just made that up as a silly thing to get kids excited, but I remember hearing it when *I* was a kid so it's been around a long time!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home