Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Life happens

I am home from work today with Lisey. This is day 4 of whatever virus she has - she's been running a fever of over 101 since Sunday morning. She is sleeping right now after being up most of the night fussing. It's morning and I am sitting at my computer with the sun coming in through the window and three cats lined up on the floor behind me stocking up on their solar power. I just finished my coffee and allowed myself to eat leftover cake from the Mardi Gras party last night for breakfast. I don't believe in Lent.

This has been a strange week. Nothing has changed in my life, but around me other lives are changing dramatically. In the past week, I've learned that 2 of my couple-friends are divorcing, another is separating, another is having their first baby and another is getting married. My mother had surgery last week and although she is completely fine, it did make me take a step back and say, yes, my parents are getting older. I've taken all of this things in and am happy, sad, anxious and overwhelmed all at once.

I am just feeling life more acutely today. Perhaps part of it is that I'm now Zoloft-free? Although I will always acknowledge that the Zoloft helped me immensely, the reality is that it did blunt my emotions - not drastically, but enough that I notice them returning. My hubby asked the other day if I was high on something because I was laughing so much while we were watching TV. Nope - just everything seems funnier, sadder, more exciting, more melancholy.

I need to wake Lisey up soon. I have a dentist appointment this morning and my darling sister and mother have offered to watch Lisey for that half hour that I am gone. I just went in to check on her and she's sleeping - looking peaceful right now, but still so warm to the touch. I never knew how my mother could tell if I had a fever by kissing my forehead. But I know now because I can do it too. Sometimes I see myself and wonder how I became a mother. I never really feel like I am very good at it, but then I look at my kids and they are happy and polite and wonderful. And today, I am going to allow myself to take partial credit for that.

There is no real point to this post. I was just feeling full and needed to write some of it down.

7 Comments:

At 2/21/2007 1:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember going off anti-depressants and having the same experience - just feeling so emotional. At first it was a bit overwhelming, but I came to really enjoy it. Normal ups and downs do get a little blunted by the antis I think.

I hope Lisey feels better soon! I've had a 100-101 fever since surgery, and I am completely worn out. Ugh. Seems they just refuse to prescribe antibiotics here unless I "really" need them. Sigh. I guess I'm fighting this infection the SLOW way.

 
At 2/21/2007 2:25 PM, Blogger Liseysmom said...

Damn wry - that sucks. I would think a fever of 100-101 would be sign that you "really" need antibiotics!! Grrrr...

And glad to know that others have been through this and felt the same way!

 
At 2/21/2007 8:47 PM, Blogger Exvestigator said...

You are a great mom and deserve a lot of credit for our children turning out so well. I'm so glad to have you in my life.

 
At 2/22/2007 1:26 AM, Blogger Lemon Blossom said...

I have some Prozac in the cupboard my dr. gave to me a few months back. I am so tempted to use them, but I keep thinking about what it will be like get off of them. Then again, sometimes I feel like I am drowning in my emotions, so maybe the withdrawals won't be so bad.

Sounds like you are making it ok, though!

 
At 2/22/2007 2:44 AM, Blogger C. L. Hanson said...

That's great that you're feeling well and enjoying life and family!!! I hope Lisey will be feeling better soon too.

Is it lent season already?

Woo-Hoo!!! Chocolate fish!!!

 
At 2/22/2007 11:36 AM, Blogger Hellmut said...

Well, if winter starvation is impending then you might as well eat the Mardi Gras cake. I hope Lisey will be better soon. Did she get a Mardi Gras costume?

 
At 4/12/2007 5:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

To wry-catcher:

Be thankful to your doctor for not prescribing antibiotics - do yourself a favor and hold on to that doctor, because s/he has your best interest at heart.

Antibiotics are not some Magic Potion. Most of the time they are useless for what ails you. Take them for the wrong disease and potentially they can kill you.
How, you ask?

Antibiotic resistance is spreading like wildfire. Now even if you catch something widespread like gonorrhea, most antibiotics won't help you any more, because of a lifetime of overdosing on antibiotics for every scratch and sneeze, and consuming antibiotics through the meat supply.

Now there's a resurgence of tuberculosis, and much of it is antibiotic-resistant.

Yes, hold on to that doc who cares.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home