Thursday, November 30, 2006

Unbalanced

I've lost my mojo this week. Despite an incredibly laid back week at work, I've been coming home feeling exhausted. My tummy has been in a state of civil war. My sleep has been disrupted. My face is breaking out (what is THAT about? I'm 33 years old and still getting zits?!?) Today is my normal pole dancing day but last night I told my husband, I just don't even feel like going.

I should have noticed all of these things as the signs of an impending migraine, but I didn't. And this morning, I woke up feeling nauseous and instead of figuring it out then, I didn't. And so I got to work and by 9:30 I had a full on evil migraine going on. It's bad when people walk into your office and immediately say, "OH MY GOD, you look AWFUL." When the boss takes one look at you and says, "you should go home" you know it's bad.

I left a lunchtime. I barely made it home. Really - I shouldn't have even been driving. I pulled the shades and crawled into bed. I slept for 3 hours. The kids and hubby came home. I survived the evening only because I took a Tylenol w/ codeine.

For anyone who has had a migraine, you know. For anyone who hasn't, you don't know. It's not just a headache. It's your head exploding from the inside. Every single one of the five senses is on overdrive. Noise hurts. Light hurts. Someone touching you hurts. And the nausea is unbearable. I move, I heave.

I called and made an appointment to see the doctor on Monday. I used to get a few migraines a year which I could easily knock out with a some Alleve and a Coke. No more. They've been coming more often - this is the third one this month. And over the counter pain meds do nothing. And the pain lasts for an entire day, sometimes two. It's starting to affect my work and my family, so it's time to try something more.

For now I'm just going to bed since keeping my head in a vertical position is simply taking too much effort.

6 Comments:

At 11/30/2006 11:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear that. I get them too and they are indeed awful. For what its worth, I take continious use bc pills (skipping the blank week) and have observed a decrease in frequency. Not to mention how awesome it is not to have periods.

 
At 12/01/2006 11:50 AM, Blogger Sister Mary Lisa said...

I take Maxalt 10 mg for migraines. Works great. But my copay for those little babies is $50 for 6 pills. Ouch.

I wouldn't wish a migraine on my most hated enemy.

 
At 12/01/2006 2:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lizzy, I get migraines too sometimes bad enough I also have to sleep them off. I've tried the aleave and it works for smaller migraines, and often a combo of aspirin, Tylenol and ibuprofen does the trick.

Try and find your triggers - like alcohol or certain foods (alcohol is a big one).

Best wishes!

Infymus,
The Mormon Curtain
http://www.mormoncurtain.com

 
At 12/01/2006 9:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, been there! OTC medicines don't help me anymore either. I think when this pregnancy is over I will be having the headache talk with my doctor too!

I hope you feel better!

 
At 12/02/2006 3:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, girlfriend, I feel your pain. I can still make it with OTC medicines, but did I ever tell you about the time (if I'm any kind of a friend I did NOT tell you about it) that a migraine hit me so hard and so fast while I was driving home from work one day, that I actually threw up while I was driving--it came on so fast I didn't even have time to get the truck off the road. Just ralphed repeatedly all over the steering wheel. And myself. It seemed pointless to stop after that so I just drove home and cleaned it all up while my head pounded like a kettle drum. That was worth two days of sick leave. Oy.

Over the years I have kind of intuited my way into a three-part migraine treatment that really works for me if I catch the headache quick enough. First I take some Advil or Aleve or something. (Tylenol does NOT work--nor does aspirin or excedrin anymore.) Then I get into a bath as hot.as.I.can.stand.it. Then I get a washcloth and get it wet in that really hot water. I lie down so my head is submerged as much as I can get without drowning. I put the hot washcloth on my eyes and press on it--especially on the bridge of my nose right between my eyes. I just stay in the water for about a half-hour to an hour, replenishing the heat from time to time. Then I get up, wrap a towel around my head so it doesn't get cold and go straight to bed and sleep.

I have to do all three things (drugs, hot water, sleep) or it doesn't work. Don't ask me how I came up with this--I don't really know, just sort of trial and error over many years of migraines. But it really does work. I keep trying to get somebody else to try it so I can see if there's something to it, or if I'm just a freak. People keep saying they'll try it out and then they don't.

Give it a try! It could be a scientific experiment... Or not.

But believe me, I know the feeling--up close and personal. Hope you're feeling better soon.

 
At 12/05/2006 5:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That makes me feel much better about the giant underground zit growing on my nose. I thought THAT was the worst thing I could have happen to me today.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home