Friday, July 20, 2007

Vacation - Day 2 - To the Baptism we go

We left fairly early to head back to Va Beach for my niece's baptism. The baptism was very nice and both hubby & I got to take a turn holding my sister's 6 month old baby.

We realized as we started driving back to the Outer Banks that this was the worst idea... ever... The traffic going into the Outer Banks on a Saturday afternoon is truly horrendous. And on top of it, I had an evil migraine but no medication - I'd left it all at the beachhouse. Mix that with the four children in the minivan (we were transporting an extra niece and nephew) and I was pretty much in tears for the three hour traffic jam.

I did figure out that once we got on to the island, there was a back road that led to the beach house. We ended up getting back to the house at the same time as my parents, who had left almost 45 minutes ahead of us. Yay, me - Master of the Alternate Route!!

I took a Frova, put in my earplugs, placed a cool washcloth over my eyes and drifted off into the nicest sensory-deprivation sleep I might have ever had. I woke up to the smell of my brother's chili (most excellent). I made myself a chili cheesy frito laced bowl of heaven and felt about 500% better.

I had to answer a few questions about the baptism for my kids. Marc seemed to think it was pretty cool and wanted to know if he could be baptized too. I told him if he got baptized into his cousin's church then he had to go to church every Sunday for three hours. He decided that wasn't so cool.

He was also very concerned because they said at the baptism that everyone had to be baptized. I told him that his cousins go to a church that believes that is necessary, but that we don't believe that is. He seemed fine with that explanation and just mostly seemed relieved that during the nightly scripture/hymn/prayertime he got the PlayStation to himself while his cousins had to sit and read a "really boring book".

We also had a bit of a controversy when we realized that Lisey didn't have any swimsuits packed. Erik took her to buy some new ones and, of course, they were two piece suits. Lisey refuses to wear a one piece suit because what if she has to poop?? Anyway, the female cousins were most upset and felt like this was NOT fair and begged Uncle Erik to PLEASE talk to their mother because they thought it was a dumb rule to begin with.

1 Comments:

At 7/25/2007 2:27 AM, Blogger Sara Sue said...

wow! no two piece bathing suits?? Aren't these kids we're talking about here?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home